Friday, January 9, 2009

A Tough Act to Recognize


I have always belonged to the Court of Unpopular Opinion. I'm aware that isn't a real thing, but let's make it one for the purpose of this blog.

Grey's Anatomy? Hate it. The Hills? What, are you kidding? Despise it! Harry Potter? Over it! Twilight? You know the drill.

Meryl Streep? Okay, here we go.

Last night, watching the Critics' Choice Awards, I found myself face to face with a very real fear. Is it possible, is it really and truly possible, that Meryl Streep might win yet another Oscar? Am I the only one who is just a wee bit terrified of this prospect?

Now before you start jumping down my throat, I think Meryl Streep is fantastic actress. It's hard to deny this. But is she the greatest actress of all time? ...No. It's important to mention that I don't think it's possible to determine the greatest actress of all time in general. That's like trying to determine the best sex you've ever had or the greatest voice in a generation. It cannot be accurately and definitively done. Some actresses are better than others are comedy, some at drama, some on stage, some on film. Some are subtle, some are ostentatious and in your face. There are different styles, different fortes.

The Trouble with Meryl is that her talent has become assumed by the majority of moviegoers. It is assumed her performance will be brilliant, it is assumed that any film she deigns to appear in will be brilliant. No one actually stops to judge whether or not either or those things are true. Was Mamma Mia! a good movie? Great god in heaven, no. It was a terrible movie. It was a painful and cringe-worthy movie. Was Meryl Streep good in it? No. Let's be honest here. She was not. And yet you still see her racking up Golden Globe nominations and the like. For a performance that was not in any way worthy of an award.

If I were Meryl Streep, I would be insulted by this. I would be insulted that everyone just naturally assumed I was brilliant rather than really judging and analyzing my hard work for what it is. It's almost as if she need not put any effort into it at all. Look at The Devil Wears Prada - fun movie, good performances. But to receive an Oscar nomination for something like that? It's a joke. To be nominated alongside Helen Mirren for The Queen? Laughable. When I think of the other actors who are being robbed of nominations simply because it is in vogue to nominate Meryl whenever possible, it's embarrassing. Lavishing this woman with praise has become more of a tradition than a true honor.

I hate to rant and rave, but I just think it's a shame that it's come to this. And I'm relatively certain that, if they wanted to, Meryl Streep and Oprah could take over the world.

What a world it would be.

[I should note that this post is inspired in part by Nellamity Jane, who brought it to my attention that I am not all alone in my winter of Meryl discontent. And I'd like to take a second to pimp out her fantastic blog, Rogue Valley Girl.]

6 comments:

  1. First of all, I know we disagree on this issue. And that we've basically agreed to disagree on this, but I think you make good points that are understandable. But, I have a few things to say. I hope you will indulge me.

    You are right, Mamma Mia! was an absolutely ridiculous movie. The direction was horrific, the plot makes no sense, the music hardly relates, etc. None of the performances were anything to be noted. But, still, I enjoy that movie. It was fun for me because I enjoy the cast. So, it's understandable that you didn't enjoy it, all things considering. Mamma Mia! isn't trying to be anything else but ridiculous summer fluff, though. It was built up simply because of Meryl, and, hey, that's just good marketing. Still, the Golden Globes nomination is a joke. But, then again, that entire category is a crock.

    Her nomination for The Devil Wears Prada? I agree, it wasn't deserved. I can't for the life of me remember what else was released that year, so I can't say who else should have gotten that nomination. But I don't think any one was kidding themselves into thinking that Meryl was going to win that year. Meryl was the only thing that really made that movie bearable (and, okay, Stanley Tucci and Emily Blunt), but her performance was nothing extraordinary. Everyone knew it was going to be Helen.

    That being said, I think that Meryl deserves a nomination for Doubt. Her performance is excellent, and I think that's just a fact. You know that I love Meryl, but I would still be upset if she took home the Oscar statuette this year. Kate Winslet is more than deserving for her absolutely astounding performance in Revolutionary Road.

    Bah, I'm rambling. Basically, I get where you're coming from, but I suppose I just don't see why you hate Meryl because of it. She doesn't feel entitled to half the accolades she receives, and how is she to stop critics/Oscar voters/etc from over-praising her? I don't know, I just think it's unfortunate that you came to hate her for this reason. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she deserves a nomination for Doubt too. But anything more than a nomination will be painful.

    You make a fine point, my dear, and certainly most of my problem stems from the critics and closed-minded people. But it's difficult to separate the two in my mind. Rationally, I know it's not her fault. It's just gotten to the point where she just annoys me, you know? I'm irritated by her. And it irritates me that she thought she was good for Mamma Mia!, that she was so cocky to thing she could pull something like that off. Sure, she shouldn't have been offered the role, but she also should have been smart and realistic enough not to accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved everything you said in the post. Not having seen Mamma Mia!, I can't claim to know exactly how bad it was, but from what I did see of previews, I couldn't believe that an actress who can pick and choose would set her sights on THAT. Doubt is on my agenda, but I am truly disappointed that Cherry Jones is not playing the sister. I don't know the story here -- if they offered it to Cherry or what, but my gut tells me that it was one of those situations where they knew M. was interested, and they went for the name. Cherry Jones was ASTONISHING when she originated the role.
    Thank you for the plug, that's very kind. I think that this Meryl discussion is one worth having...there are so many brilliant actresses out there; now that Streep is a brand of excellence, she monopolizes sort of monopolizes her age group within the casting pool.
    Long live (in memory) Klaus -- I had a clip from Cobra Verde as the message on my answering machine for many months once. People were scared to call my house.
    --Nell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!

    I agree, Cherry Jones defines the role. She was incredible on Broadway. I'm fairly certain that she was not offered the role - I believe your read on the situation is correct. Which is such a shame because, as you say, Cherry Jones is the definitive Sister Aloysius, and anyone who saw the stage production knows it.

    Exactly. She's monopolizing the casting pool, and therefore ending up in roles she isn't right for, roles much better suited for others. And that's something even Meryl herself ought to be aware of, and be sensitive to. I think that's the main reason I dislike her, because she allows herself to take on these miscast roles.

    Oh, that's amazing. Klaus is terrifying. My roommate and I have spent endless hours watching various YouTube clips and "My Best Fiend" obsessively. Somehow it never gets old.

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read an interview with Cherry that kind of made it seem like she wasn't offered the role, but she seemed to think it was okay that way--like she's more of a theatre type, and she thought Meryl had more of a film presence. It sounded like she preferred to stick to her element. But even if that is the case, I definitely agree that the role could have been offered up to someone else...it's that whole immediate "let's get Meryl Streep for this role" thing that sort of bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, thanks for the heads up about the comment.

    You know, I'm kind of thankful she wants to stick to her element...integrity!

    N

    ReplyDelete