Monday, January 12, 2009

...that's probably why he killed himself.

The initial plan was to make a post about the Golden Globes. How much Kate Winslet rocks, how much I adore Emma Thompson, how Sally Field was robbed, how Colin Farrell won something (seriously how did Colin Farrell win something?), and how Meryl Streep lost. Twice. But this has all been done to death already, I think.

So. This instead.

As a film student, folks are always asking me for film recommendations. I was on a cruise recently, and when my tablemates at dinner heard I was about this, their first remark was: "Name your top five films."

My response: "Uhhh...uhhh...well...let's see...hmm..."

Word to the wise: don't ask a film student for their favorite films. They will spontaneously combust before your very eyes. And while that would certainly be a sight to see, it's inadvisable for obvious reasons. That said, I think I'm going to start doing film recommendations here. Why? I don't know, because it's my blog and I'll do what I want! Or something.

The first film that has the honor of receiving my esteemed recommendation: The Big Chill

I recommend this film for many reasons, the first of which is it's relevant to everyone. If you have friends, it will mean something to you. And for most people, it will mean a lot. I could watch The Big Chill every single day (and go through periods when I do). I would still laugh, still cry, still be overwhelming attracted to Kevin Kline.

This movie is about people. How they change, and how they stay the same. The things that keep them alive, the things that they would die for, the things that make the in-between worthwhile. And it has some of the best one-liners in movie history. Not to mention one of the greatest ensemble casts ever assembled.

And to borrow a relatively new cliche: It's funny because it's true.

3 comments:

  1. Hey,

    I am ashamed to say this: I have never seen The Big Chill from start to finish. I will put it on the Netflix cue as soon as possible, and thank you for the rec.

    Oregon Shakespeare Festival is in Ashland, you are so right.

    I enjoyed the SNL clips...we don't have cable here, so it was good for my constitution (and I've never known where to find high quality recent SNL clips online before). AND WHY MUST SHE ALWAYS BE PANTSLESS? Liza LOVES to go tights-only down there.

    -N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Big Chill is one of my favorite movies. I don't remember where I was the first time I watched it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's because I was so engrossed in it.

    And Kevin Kline, OMG. So much attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, COINCIDENCE. My Mom just rented this for me because she LOVES it and I've never seen it, etc. So now I have even more reason to watch it, since it has been recommended by such an esteemed friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete