Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It's a joke nobody knows

My head is full. Sometimes I feel that if I think anymore, I'll explode. But then of course, I can't afford not to think. I've been thinking about politics, award season, theatre, recycling, religious abstention, my imminent return to Chicago on Sunday, and of course, the ever-childish feeling of being left out.

Last year, I went to school in Washington, D.C. before transferring to school in Chicago this year. Some of my closest friends are, predictably, still there. And thanks to the strange and addictive networking tool that is Facebook, I've been bombarded with endless tales of their Inauguration adventures. It's hard to be happy for them when you're standing just outside the circle. I'd like to stop being human, just for a moment, and be able to jump for joy with them, but I can't.

I've been thinking about the new administration and the faith I have in them. The game is on now. I've been thinking about the film industry and its annual tradition of shameless self-congratulation. It's amazing how I managed to get so wrapped up in it. I'm thinking about the integrity of the struggling theatre scene, the show I'll be seeing in New York this weekend, and the shows I'm planning to see in Chicago as soon as I return. And I've been thinking about how much I can't afford it, and how little I care. [Incidentally, I've also been thinking that more people need to come to Chicago because it's incredible. And there's my obligatory Chi-town plug.]

I go to a pretty eco-friendly school, but I've been thinking about ways I can enhance that. I hate being just one person. Then again, that's all it takes. I've been re-reading The God Delusion for the third time, and thinking about minorities and being one. I've been thinking about school, and whether I could be successful in my chosen field without it.

And most importantly, I've been thinking that LOST will finally be on in three hours, and I can escape for a little while. Oh, entertainment. How I rely on you so unreasonably.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you can take my spot at that freeeezing Inauguration. I still can't feel my feet properly. And if I remember correctly, one of my many freakout quotes from yesterday went something like "Why the hell am I here freezing my ass off and dealing with these tourists! I didn't even vote for the guy!"

    But the historian in me loved being there. The cold hating, crowd despising cynic inside of me did not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DON'T think it's unreasonable, the way you rely on it. While religion has always been the opiate of the masses, entertainment -- theater in particular -- has always been used to revitalize us and give us space to revel in our humanity (except, of course, during the middle ages when...guess what? RELIGION dominated). I think it's interesting that you're so invested in theater and film; I often see theater as the antithesis of religion. Theater holds as 'twere the mirror up to nature...Religion asserts the imaginary, metaphysical world that exists only in the mind. Religious and metaphysical plays are particularly fascinating to me as well, because they often tend to point out the undeniable truth that belief is subjective -- it's not absolute.
    --N.

    ReplyDelete