Saturday, February 7, 2009

Slice of life

Typically, I don't post about "real life" other than the casual throwaway line, but today it's necessary.

I'm sure Chicago isn't the only place around that experienced a serious rise in temperature this weekend. But Chicago being what it is, it took the city by storm. We're used to the kind of freezing wind that rips the flesh off your face. And today, we didn't even need our winter coats. People came out of the woodwork. Children roamed the street! Do you know how long it's been since we've seen children?

My roommate Taylor and I walked a total of four miles this afternoon, down the Magnificent Mile to the Water Tower and back. Granted, whatever weight was lost with the exercise was regained thanks to Chipotle, but it still felt fantastic. Completely exhilarating. And as we crossed the canal, this sight awaited us and I just had to take a picture:



But somehow, despite this good weather, we still ended up at the movies. (Story of my life.) Revolutionary Road, finally. Fantastic film, if incredibly depressing. It took some time for it to truly hit me, but once it did, I was knocked out and dragged off. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I was grateful. I mean, these two characters in the film were so phenomenally and profoundly unhappy that it makes you grateful for even the tiniest bit of happiness.

The day ended as all days ought to - watching Barbra Streisand. My friends Kate and Brooklyn demanded my copy of The Mirror Has Two Faces, so we watched that, followed by Streisand's "Timeless" concert on dvd.

Really, it was a perfect day. Too bad now I have a mountain of work to complete for my Monday morning Fiction Writing class. Joy.

4 comments:

  1. Heck YES We demanded The Mirror Has Two Faces. Thank you for that, darling. And you're right- it'd been way too long since children went outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That does sound like a perfect day. Too bad if i wanted to walk 4 miles all I would get is a blaring headache due to the amount of toxic waste in the air. Yup so my perfect day consists of sitting at home, munching of something in the meantime.
    But thanks for the sharing, i get the opportunity to imagine what a perfect day should be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you on Revolutionary Road. I was absolutely drained after seeing it for the first time, but I really loved it (and don't understand why it doesn't have more Oscar nods). This drainage (Daniel Plainview) was done to me especially by Kate Winslet's character. I completely sympathized with her. You have an absolutely brilliant woman trapped in a life which she shouldn't be living by a man who lets her down more and more each day. It makes her act at the end of the film almost impossible to not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious picture! I wonder if you could hear the ice breaking up and moving around in the river? Cool..

    ReplyDelete