Monday, February 2, 2009

He adored Manhattan


I admit to being a devoted Woody Allen fan. I could not possibly care less about what he does in his personal life, his films are incomparable. The good ones anyway.

Here, Paste magazine has listed its opinion of Allen's top ten. The article goes into a deeper explanation, but here are the listed ten:

10) Sweet and Lowdown
9) Match Point
8) Love and Death
7) Vicky Cristina Barcelona
6) Bullets over Broadway
5) Crimes and Misdemeanors
4) The Purple Rose of Cairo
3) Annie Hall
2) Hannah and Her Sisters
1) Manhattan

Before I go into my thoughts on the list above, I should preface this by noting that I have a very clear bias for his films with Diane Keaton, and against his films with Mia Farrow. I always have. Which is why I would immediately strike The Purple Rose of Cairo from the list, and in its place insert Play it Again, Sam.

That said, I'm extremely pleased to see Manhattan at number one, a place which is typically occupied by one of the two that precede it. It had always been one of my favorites, but last semester in my Aesthetics of Cinema class, I had to dissect it (specifically the cinematography) for a ten-page paper and I discovered that it really and truly has to be his best film. It's exquisite. And I would admittedly place Annie Hall ahead of Hannah and Her Sisters, though I suppose it doesn't really matter any.

I don't know if any of you are Woody Allen fans or would have an opinion, but I'd love to hear it.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit it: If I'm being honest, I am not a Woody Allen fan. And, like you said, I couldn't possibly care less about what he does in his personal life. I just don't get the films.
    But maybe the real problem is that I'm not a Diane Keaton fan...and I always associate Allen with Keaton, although I know his career has many many different facets than just his work with her.
    Funny...The Purple Rose of Cairo is one that I remember enjoying. But then again, I was probably twelve when my mom said "Here, rent this, you'll like it." I always believed her. And it doesn't help that I had Romancing the Stone and The Purple Rose of Cairo confused for many years because I saw them around the same time and their titles were similarly evocative...although their content couldn't have been more contrasting. School me on Allen if you want! I feel like the only one who doesn't get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obnoxiously late in responding to this blog, but I still felt the need to do so seeing as you are my main Woody Allen homegirl.

    I have seen exactly half of these (with Vicky Cristina Barcelona currently residing as #1 on my Netflix queue), and I feel like this is a pretty good list.
    I'm glad to see Manhattan placed first here. I think I will always love Annie Hall and Manhattan equally, but I often feel like Manhattan doesn't really get the credit that is due.
    And while I do like Hannah & Her Sisters, I initially thought it was a little disappointing. So, like you, I'd rather have Annie Hall taking second place.
    I feel like Radio Days should have a spot on this list. It's one of my favorite Allen films. The script! I can't even talk about how much I adore it. Plus that cast boggles the mind.
    And, you know, I kind of wish Everyone Says I Love You were on here. Maybe just because I want to be a part of that family or something, but I really love that movie a lot. Not one of his very best though.
    ALSO, I'm just saying, Manhattan Murder Mystery should TOTALLY be on the honorable mentions list.

    Anyway, thanks for posting this article! I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that I am completely happy with the order of the top 3 but...where's Interiors?!?! That's by far one of his best films and most underrated. Definitely in my top 5 Woody Allen films.

    ReplyDelete